BACK TO NATURE

BACK TO NATURE
Green green grass of home

Life is shaped by your thoughts, therefore.....

Tuesday, 3 April 2007

PD International "Raining" Half-Marathon

Running a marathon is a strain under normal conditions: the first person who ran one, according to Greek legend, dropped dead when he finished. Since then, thousands of runners have sought refuge from on-course aid stations and finish line medical tents to be treated for hypothermia and dehydration, blisters and broken bones and heart attacks.

The above was a history written.

Latest in my running history, I ran in the heavy rain for 2 hours in Port Dickson last Sunday, 1st April. I was told by S. Devamani (the female champion) before the race started, that she trained in the morning because PD never had any rainfall in the morning & that day was the 1st time ever it was raining so heavy. My last time running in the rain for more than 1 hour was in January 2006, during KLIM 206-Circuit 3 @ Taman Tasik Perdana, but that was just drizzling & a mild one. The rainfall in PD that morning was REAL heavy plus the strong wind & half-inch flood on the road. Everybody didn't expect that it's gonna rain & wore their most comfortable running attire. I'm glad that I wore my 'spirit' white Nike running cap or else the raindrops on my face would have "killed" my concentration.


After KLIM, I only did once, 2km recovery run & last Saturday, did 4km run at the Larian F1 @ Sg Penchala. So, I thought of doing another easy recovery run at PD. The race started off with the windy-heavy-tsunami rain & also ended with raining. It only stopped during the prize-giving. Running with wet shoes, socks, vest & tight (plus the inside attire) was quite challenging. Anyway, comparing this one with running under the hottest sun in Putrajaya Marathon last September, I would prefer the rain. I don't feel tired or thirsty at all. I still stopped twice at the water station for a gulp or two while swallowing the PowerGel. The route was nice, flat & a bit hilly.


The police traffic guys did their best in controlling the morning traffic. At every 7km, a different colored string was given to indicate that the runners have reached certain checkpoints. Saw few guys got their cramps terribly. The scenery was good too. The caramel peanut crisp PowerBar I had earlier before the run did a great job as I didnt feel hungry at all. Only saw Ronnie, Fook, Adrian and Azman running in the 21.2km distance and met the Eng sisters, Siok Jun & Siok Ling before the race, they both did the 11km. My other friends, Emilia Jamil, Suwaibah Nasir, Haza & Juliana didn't come for the race as they told me earlier that they've got other commitments for the day.


Taken on last Friday, 30th March, dinner date with Juliana @ Mid Valley. Julie, Rono (Kenya Marathoner) & me... from this pix, I realized that I've put on weight a lot after KLIM... no worries, I'll shed down before Penang Bridge M'thon in June..

A familiar marathon guy named Harry was kind enough to pace with me for a while & gave some positive comments on my running method. Oh yes, also met Mr Raihan from Singapore Team again after the GE30km & KLIM & he looked forward to run more races in Malaysia. Towards the last 5km, I couldn't feel the ankle pain at all as I've been so worried thinking about it. I'm glad that I managed to complete the 21.2km run, in a very-very-very heavy rain & strong wind & on a slightly flooded road. I ran on my easy pace & finished 2:15:37hrs @ 11th position (or 12th maybe). The finisher's medal is beautiful!!


Overall, the raining PD Half Marathon @ Admiral Marina is "cool"!!
In the swelter of heat and humidity, rain can be a runner's ally....

So, next challenge : Marathon in space??

News by Bernama.com
----------------------------------------
Sports April 01, 2007 17:00 PM

Kenyans Dominate PD International Half Marathon

PORT DICKSON, April 1 (Bernama) -- Kenyan runners dominated the men's open category of the 2007 PD International Half Marathon, winning the top four places here Sunday.

Daniel Kirawa Lel, 32, who was 11th at the Kuala Lumpur International Marathon on March 18, topped the category after completing 21 kilometres in 1 hours 5 minutes and 4 seconds while Gilbert Kiptoo, 24, lagged six seconds behind for the second place. Compatriots Charles Ogaro Omayio, 26, and Robert Noungu Kibe, 28, were third and fourth with 1:10.2s and 1:11.21s respectively.

Daniel said this was their first appearance in the event that started and finished at the Admiral Marina & Leisure Club and hoped to be able to participate in next year's competition. The wind and rain factors had prevented them from clocking better times, he said.

In the women's open category, Malaysia's S. Devamani, 37, emerged tops with 1:25.5s. "Overall, I'm satisfied with the performance today because my target is to defend the title," said the athlete who is from this district. The second place went to Yazmin Mohd Yusoff, 20, who clocked 1:27.4s while Carmen Leong Ban Yeik, 37, third with 1:47.47s.

The half marathon, staged for the second time here, offered cash prizes totalling RM30,000. A total of 2,042 local and international runners took part in this year's event, compared to 1,318 previously. State Tourism Action Committee Deputy Chairman Faizal Ramli gave away the prizes.

2 comments:

aharis said...

Taruh lg 1-2marathon.. sekepiang laa balik.

Bestnyer lari.. lama aku x main hujan. Nganga la kwn aku.. Muniandy..

PURPLE.EYEZ said...

Al-Ha : tu la pasal.. lemak dah berkeping2 nih.. takpa, kat Penang nanti sure dah halus bak sutera..
Mmg best giler lari dlm hujan, rasa dahaga je, nganga besaq2 tadah ayeq..
Muniandy ok la tu dpt no. 2 category 11km, kira terer ler gak sbb dpt beat Arulthevar!!