
'Strange' race for champ Onyango - K. THASHALINI, Malay Mail, Kuala Lumpur, Feb 20
For Kenyan Chrispine Omondi Onyango, taking part in the TM Forest Towerthon Challenge 2006 was a strange experience as he has never run up 2,058 steps before. Onyango, 33, the champion in the Men's Open category, came all the way from Kenya just for the competition and completed the race in 14 minutes and 26 seconds. "It was my first time taking part in such a sport and it was strange for me as I had to decide whether to take two steps or a single step at a time," said Onyango.
The high-school teacher, who was in Malaysia in 1998 for the KL Commonwealth Games, decided to return when he heard about the Towerthon Challenge. In the Women's Open category, national walker Yuan Yu Fang beat the competition with a time of 16 minutes and 25 seconds.
"I did not train for this competition as I only decided to participate in the last minute on the urging of a friend. I just took part for fun and didn't expect to win," said Yuan. Yuan said she has no plans to take part in the Kuala Lumpur International Towerthon in 2007. Onyango and Yuan each walked away with RM1,500, 3G handphones, a gold medal and a challenge trophy.
Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said was happy with the participation of Malaysians in the competition. "There is a lot of hidden talent in our country and I hope more people will get involved in the event," she said.
Unlike previous years, this year's Towerthon Challenge had a change in its starting point.In conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the Bukit Nanas forest reserve, participants were required to run approximately one kilometre uphill before climbing the 2,058 steps of the tower. In addition, a bonus cash prize of RM100,000 was offered to the first runner to finish the race in under nine minutes but there was no winner.
Kuala Lumpur Tower chief executive officer Datuk Zulkifli Mohamad said the race was held in preparation for an international competition next year in conjunction with the World Federation of Great Towers (WFGT) conference in Kuala Lumpur.

************************************************************************************
It was a great experience to participate in such an extraordinary race b'coz there's only 3 towers/building in the world organize this kinda race ~ Empire States Building, USA; Taiwan Tower and the only Kuala Lumpur Tower in Malaysia. Thru the whole stairs climbing experience, it is an advantage for all cyclists via their pedal & push skills. To me, climbing 2058 steps is no longer a fear. I considered myself for doing it well, being in top 15 among 150 participants in my category is a new PR to me. At first, I was in top 8, only after level 12, I slowed down my run and climb due to the 'stern' reminder of my marathon coach, not to push too hard. I'll be doing my maiden marathon in 2 weeks' time, so I have to take good care of my strong sexy legs. :)
Anyway, I'll be climbing the 2058 steps again next year as the KL Tower will be organizing the same event at international level in conjunction with the World Federation of Great Towers' Conference to be held in Malaysia in 2007.

1 comment:
Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»
Post a Comment