Old friends are precious... oh yes they are!!!

It's a lost & found case, to me it's antique & classic. I'm talking about an old friend, a family friend actually, whom I knew since my kindergarten days. We grew up together, went to the same kindergarten but to a different primary & secondary school. Later we went on parted ways due to further study & working life. We only met very recently, that's after 2 decades away...
The day & the way we met was quite a sad story. A day before the election day on 7th March 2008, I travelled all my way back to my hometown as I didn't change my election centre. When I reached home, my mom was not around. I was kind of panicked and I waited for almost 2 hours at my aunty's house, and later my mom came home & told me that she just came back from a family friend's house who passed away in the afternoon, therefore, my mom went over to the house to make all the preparations for the funeral. It was a sad news. Later on, I followed my mom to the house again as my mom wanted me to help her to perform the 'mandi jenazah'. When I arrived, their family members were already around, just waiting for the 'jemaah' from the nearby surau to perform the 'solat jenazah' before proceeding with the funeral.
While waiting, I then recited Surah Yaasin in the room where 'she' was laid peacefully on the bed. Only my mom & me at that time. Few minutes later, I saw few people arrived & entered the house & I supposed they're the family members. Someone came into the room and as I glanced & I saw that he was the son of the lady who passed away & he was my friend whom I called "An". He didn't realised it was me until my mom told him so & he was so surprised to see me there. It was such a sad moment & broke my heart when I saw him crying & kissing his late mother's cheek. Later, I went over to help my mom with the 'mandi jenazah' practically, also with the help of the other family members. It was such an experience and this is not my 1st time. I experienced "bathing" other family members i.e. my late grandma & also my aunties. My mom is an expert in this and she's well known for her knowledge & practice of 'mandi jenazah' in my hometown. It's not an easy task, I'm telling you.
OK, back to the story about this old friend. Our conversation was very little, just "hello & how are you" as after that was the funeral. After the election process the next day, I returned to KL. So, I thought that was it, just a "Hi & Bye" and "see you when I see you". Anyway, 3 days later, I received an sms saying Thank You for what I've done on the funeral day & I replied that it's my part of my duty as a Muslim.
Today, he came over to my workplace & we had an informal meeting & lunch. Our discussion was funny, it was all about the wildlife & national parks in Malaysia.... i.e. Kuala Gandah Elephants, Tapir, about his involvement with the making of the longest canopy walk at Kuala Tahan Pahang National Park, about all the nature & adventure kind of tasks he's been doing.. Funny but interesting, but that's his expertise, Eco-Tourism. He gave some brilliant ideas & agreed to assist with the Culture, Adventure & Nature projects that my office team is currently promoting. It was a great meeting as I also called other officers to join the discussion. I'm proud to have a friend like him, so humble yet so resourceful. His wide experience working in the Dept of Wildlife & National Parks has brought him worldwide. Wowww... a very interesting kind of job. I'm glad that my workplace also involved with events & activities & not just stuck with deskjob & computers totally.
My favourite topics....
The Baby Tapir & her mother...

An animal with many identities... Tapir @ Cipan @ Tenuk @ Badak Tampung...

The elephants of Kuala Gandah Sanctuary...

Well, to cut it short & brief, for me, today is a wonderful day, I met my long-lost friend, again... It's such a small world!! To my friend, An, keep on doing with what you're doing, preserve & protect the nature and the flora & fauna... I salute you!!!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment