What to do before, during and after your first marathon!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*** Run some races before the marathon
This definitely helped me quite a lot. I did two half marathons and some smaller races so I could get used to running in a race. I learned not to hype myself up, which I did in the races and I couldn't finish them on a steady rhythm.
I ran too fast and I hit the wall at ¾ of the race which I definitely didn't want to hit during the marathon. Run some small races to get used to the atmosphere, it will give you more self-confidence.
I was very nervous before the marathon, but I was more nervous for my first real race. Get comfortable with running a few races before you run the marathon, it will make you less nervous and more confident.
*** Don't run the distance of a marathon during training
There is no need to walk a marathon "almost" during the training of your marathon. I think the maximum you need to run is 20 miles. If you can run 20 miles outside a marathon, you can certainly run the marathon!
*** Stop running long distances at least ten days before you are going to run the marathon
This is going to be tough. As you are probably getting quite nervous for running your first marathon, this is going to feel kind of weird: at least ten days before you are going to actually run the marathon you must NOT run long distances anymore. Your body needs to rest but your mind probably tells you to continue your training. Take your rest! I ran 19 miles, eleven days before the marathon and I didn't run another mile between this run and the marathon. It feels strange not to train right before the marathon, but like I said before; you need the rest.
*** Drink a lot during the days before running the marathon
It is very important to drink at least more than two litres of water the days before you are going to run the marathon. A lot of people think they only need to drink enough during the marathon. However, drinking enough during the days before the marathon is almost as important. It makes you want to drink less during the marathon which also saves a lot time on urinating and drinking time.
*** Don't act differently during the marathon
A lot of people act differently during the marathon. When you have been training in "normal running clothes" don't buy some new clothes for the marathon. It's the same thing with food, drinks, shoes, etc. You don't want to find out that your brand new shorts aren't fitting that well during a marathon or those special energy drinks give you cramps in your stomach. Also, don't do other things like taking a massage before the marathon if you aren't used to this. Simply do like you always do and everything will be fine!

Good luck,
Eelco, NY

No comments:
Post a Comment